Perhaps it is just an effect of the current difficult economic times these days, but because more and more people have an increasingly smaller budget to allocate for the household improvements, very few are seriously thinking of purchasing a food waste disposer. However, did you know that such a device can help you save more cash and is practically inexpensive?
Meet the Badger 5 from InSinkErator, a highly affordable garbage disposer that will considerably reduce the amount of waste produced in your home without consuming too much energy and water. Let’s summarize the main features of the unit that deem it a great bang for the buck.
Features of InSinkErator Badger 5
- The garbage disposal unit comes in a compact and light design, measuring 7 inches in length, 7 inches in width and 13 inches in height
- The garbage disposer has an amazing grinding capacity that can easily shred chicken bones, coffee grounds and fruit rinds
- The grinding chamber capacity of the Badger 5 is of 25 ounces
- The device is made from galvanized steel
- Its total weight is around 14 pounds
- The Badger 5 is designed to be hardwired and controlled by a switch mounted on the wall
- This food waste disposer comes with all the necessary tools and clear, step-by-step instructions for a quick installation process
- The installation mechanism is based on the standard three bolt Quick Lock system, which permits you to easily disconnect a previous waste disposer and quickly install the Badger 5
- Incorporates a 1/2 Horsepower Dura-Drive motor
- This unit is environmental friendly as it is designed to consume less than 1% of the amount of water commonly typically used in a regular household in a single day
- The green capabilities of the Badger 5 ensure that it will not consume more than 3 or 4 kilowatts hour per year
- By purchasing this garbage disposer model, you will enjoy 2 years of warranty for all the parts and benefit from in-home service
Perhaps the most appreciated element of this food waste disposer comprises of the installation kit and relatively easy mounting. To put it simply, besides the device itself, the package also includes Quick Lock sink mount, plastic sink stopper, sink baffle, a jam-buster wrench as well as a set of instructions. As you can see, the Badger 5 is a device that can also be mounted by homeowners with less advanced mechanical skills.
A further noteworthy advantage of the Badger 5 entails its environment friendly design. In addition to helping you produce less waste in the household, the unit also consumes an insignificant amount of water (one gallon per person in a day) and electricity (maximum 4 KWH per year). In the eventuality that your home is connected to a sewage system, then installing the Badger 5 waste disposer is a surefire way to do your part in saving the environment. All the food grinded in the unit will be sent to the town’s wastewater treatment plant, where it will be later on transformed into a renewable source of energy (methane) or fertilizer.
According to a relatively large percentage of customers, the main issue with the Badger 5 resides in the fact that it is rather noisy. However, it is necessary to mention that the device will not work continuously, but rather only when the waste disposer performs its main duty. The bottom line is that it does make some sounds but not as much as to disturb your activities around the house.
Considering that the Badger series are produced by one of the top appliance manufacturers, it is only natural that it enjoys a good reputation among customers. However, this particular model did not manage to get more than 4 out 5 stars. One explanation for the rating resides in the fact that many customers feel than the 2-year warranty as well as the low price are signs of low quality.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 is a great asset for all homeowners who adopt a socially responsible lifestyle. Besides being a green solution, this waste disposer also packs an excellent grinding capability at a very affordable price. All in all, it is an efficient product and it is worth checking out!